Saturday, January 31, 2015

Love God, Do Whatever You Want



A friend and I were talking about how to know God's will, and he told me about a quote he'd heard, "Love God, do whatever you want."  I was trying to figure out where it came from, googled it, and found this video.  It is really good!  I think that the phrase "Love God, do whatever you want" can definitely be taken the wrong way...it's easy to zero in on the "do whatever you want" part.  But if you put loving God first, everything else falls into place.  For example, choosing a spouse or dating.  Should I date this person or that person?  Which job offer should I take?  Which college should I go to?  Well, those specifics obviously aren't in the Bible.  God gives us boundaries in His word, but we are free to make our own choices inside those boundaries.  We don't need to agonize over these decisions.  We can do whatever we want to do and know that we are in God's will, if we are loving Him first.  In my life right now, a lot of decisions about the future and what I should be doing with this time are being made.  I know what God's will for me is.  He says it in I Corinthians 7:34: "There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband."  Right now, I need to be caring for the things of the Lord.  That could mean a lot of different things!  But I am free to make choices in how I will do that. When I'm loving God and abiding in Him, the path is clear.  It's really all much simpler than I think!  John MacArthur says it the best, though, so do yourself a favor and take three minutes to watch it.  ^^^  Now!  ;-)

5 comments:

Fia said...

I am going to watch this.....love your new profile pic! Beautiful girl. :)

Emily said...

Good! I was so encouraged by it!
Aww thanks, your so sweet! And coming from a beauty yourself. :) I had to get some pics while my hair was still in shape, you girls did such a good job!! Had so much fun today. :)

Emily said...

*you're :P

Brenda Martin Rydberg said...

Dear sweet Em, I think the point was missed here. The point is not that we can do what we want. The point is that when we put all our affections onto God, it is THEN that HIS desires become OUR desires. In other words, it is WHEN His desires become ours that we can do what we want. IT is when we receive the desires that He gives us that we can do anything because we are then actually doing HIS will, not ours. He GIVES (to) us the desires that are of (from) His heart.
Love you bunches, Gran

Emily said...

Thank you Gran! I totally agree, you said it very well here!